To find a position using my writing, editing and/or photography skills in a creative environment that will benefit the company and my own growth.
grichter64 (at) yahoo (dot) com
734-6960 (area code is 256)
12/1995 - Present The Birmingham News, Birmingham, Alabama
- Go-to guy on tight deadline stories. Edit, write captivating headline and get it to the page designer super-fast. Create enticing headlines in increasingly skinnier column widths that sell the story in the print edition, and write Search Engine Optimization (SEO) heads for the online edition that bring in Google hits from outside our normal coverage area.
- Write feature stories and do a weekly compilation of what publications outside the state are saying about Alabama. Using eye-catching copy, this column has grown in popularity. Feature story on the worldwide popularity of the song “Sweet Home Alabama” is now supported by a blog, which brings in readers worldwide.
- Sweet Home Alabama blog: www.al.com/sweet-home-alabama
- Like It or Not, Now You’re Everywhere On the Web: http://blog.al.com/techcetera/2009/05/like_it_or_not_now_youre_every.html
- Outside Looking In: (Google “outside looking in” and “birmingham news” for recent examples.
- Wrote e-book on how to maintain a budget and live within your means under pseudonym Owen Tew. “The Easy Budget: How to Always Have the Money You Need”: www.lulu.com/content/e-book/the-easy-budget-how-to-always-have-the-money-you-need/8098563
- “Jesus in Alabama – And Everywhere Else: Images of the Name”: A photo blog on images of the name Jesus painted on the sides of businesses, as graffiti on roads, etc. (Also under pseudonym Owen Tew). http://jesusinalabama.blogspot.com/
- Edited copy on signs for Birmingham Civil Rights Trail.
10/1991 - 12/1995 The Decatur Daily, Decatur, Alabama
8/1988 - 10/1991 Daily Mountain Eagle, Jasper, Alabama
Reporter, Wire editor
5/1986 - 8/1988 The Cullman Times, Cullman, Alabama
University of Alabama at Birmingham/Journalism, Birmingham, Alabama
- President's List
- Multiple statewide writing awards from The Associated Press and the Alabama Press Association, including for deadline news, feature writing and headline writing. Won best headline of the year at The Birmingham News three times and best headline of the month numerous times. Received management training from current employer. Placed on a team assigned to find ways to cut costs, and many of our ideas were implemented.
- Board of directors for The Cullman County Historical Society. Started a blog for the group, which previously had no Internet presence, and have played a character in the Cemetery Tour for the past three years during Oktoberfest. Chairman of Bus Tour Committee. Member of Finance and Budget Committee and Cemetery Tour Committee.
I will be happy to furnish references upon request.